DIY: Citrus & Lavender Laundry Detergent

Back in the day, I used to buy ALL liquid laundry detergent at about $12 a jug and that would probably last my family a month. When I started making my own (in my endless quest to become a green home) I spent about $10 on the ingredients and I STILL have some left......almost a year later! I'm not going to get down with the math but that's a whooole lot of savings! This recipe is so simple and saves me a TON of money. Care to try? Grab the recipe below:



 Ingredients
4 cups Borax
4 cups Washing Soda
2 bars of Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap- cut into cubes or shredded using a grater (I used Citrus and Lavender)
1 box baking soda
20 drops of Lavender Essential Oil (or oil of your choice for fragrance)
Large plastic/glass container with screw top or air tight lid
scooper (I purchased a 1/8 measuring spoon from Walmart but any scooper will due)

**Blender is not needed but recommended



Add all ingredients (minus the essential oils) into a blender and blend until mixed well. Add essential oils and blend for a minute or two. **If you do not have a blender, mix powders then grate in your castil soap. Mix well and add essential oils....mix again. Store in an airtight container, with scoop, in a cool, dry place (a pantry or cabinet is perfect). Get creative and try different essential oil combos....grapefruit and vanilla, mint and orange, lavender and vanilla, etc!

Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment